Orange Mound Outreach Ministries is a “Taking Our Children Back” program that targets unchurched youth in the Orange Mound Community. Rev. Reginald J. Tucker, Director, and Mrs. Mary Tucker, Program Director, are the leaders and alongside them there are 4 adult volunteers and 4 youth volunteers that have come through the ministry. Our mission: We strive to teach our youth, respect, self control, and education. We teach them how to walk the Christian walk in their everyday lives.
In order to make this mission possible we put into place our objectives: Evangelism, Discipleship, Education, and Resource Development.
Our purpose is to take our children back for drugs, gangs, alcohol, killing, stealing, and anything ungodly. In order to do that we focus on equipping our children with the tools to participate in everyday life. To equip them we offer, homework help, tutoring, real talk groups for boys and girls, youth church which include skits, choir, and praise dancing. We also offer club nights, discipleship groups, bible fun groups, bible study groups, movie nights, camping, and social outings. In Orange Mound we are the only structured, faith based organization for children that is set up to cater as a safe haven for our youth. We have several churches and ministries that partner with us to help lead our youth in the direction for which God want them to go.
These are some of our accomplishments from 2012:
• Ownership of our Life Center at 845 Marechalneil.
• Ownership of seven affordable homes for our children families.
• We have an Leadership Team that consists of 12 of our best youth that are participating in our discipleship program.
• Our Bible study group and Bible fun group has enabled at least 20% of our children to memorize all 66 books of the Bible and some Bible verses.
• We have 15 to 20 students that participate in homework and tutoring program and their grades have come up tremendously.
• We have implemented the Watch, Know, Learn Reading program along with The Read-a-Bear program.
• We have been able to raise our first $150,000.00 for the ministry in one year.
• We have hired our first Marketing person to take over fundraising.
• Our CPA is now in full effect for the ministry.
• We were given a proclamation from our Congressman.
• We have completed a 3-year Urban Youth Theology program with Urban Youth Initiative.
Our plans for the year 2013 are as follows:
• Continued to repair our building at 845 Marechalneil.
• Continue to equip our Leadership Team so that they will be able to run and operate their ministry.
• Begin another group of 12 for a new beginner’s Leadership Team group.
• Recruit more volunteers and mentors.
• Increase our Kindergarten through 8th grade age group and focus more on them.
• Raise our income 50% for the current year.
• Partner with more churches and ministries.
Orange Mound Outreach Ministries has really made an impact on the Orange Mound neighborhood. Our area is better to live in now than it has ever been. People were afraid to walk pass kids on the street, now they are stopping to talk to them. Our kids are talking to other kids and their relatives about God and what they do here at the ministry. OMOM has changed the lives of the whole neighborhood, not just the kids, and we are excited to see what 2012 is going to bring as our walk with God continues.